Led by ACO violinist Aiko Goto, this annual program brings high school string players from across Australia together for an intensive week of orchestral rehearsals, sectionals and chamber music sessions. Throughout the week participants will be coached and mentored by ACO musicians and will build on technical skills, accuracy, ensemble playing, leading and communicating, and performance style.
ACO Academy 2021
When is it?
- ACO Academy 2021 will be held in Sydney from the 5 – 9 July 2021.
How much does it cost?
Please note that food, transport and accommodation must be covered by the participants.
How do I apply?
- Make video recordings of you performing TWO contrasting pieces. All pieces must be recorded with piano accompaniment, with the exception of pieces that are written for unaccompanied solo instrument. Please see more information below.
- Upload your videos to Dropbox. Please see instructions here.
- Fill out the application form below. Please note the application deadline is Thursday 18 March 2021.
Please note that you must upload the links to your video recordings at the time of filling out the application form, so please have these things ready before applying.
Audition Video Requirements
- You are required to submit video recordings of TWO contrasting works or movements. All pieces must be recorded with piano accompaniment, with the exception of pieces that are written for unaccompanied solo instrument.
- Orchestral excerpts are not accepted.
- Videos must be no more than 6 months old.
- Your two contrasting works or movements must be submitted as separate video files.
- Each of your videos must be recorded in a single take, with no cuts or editing.
- All videos must be uploaded via Dropbox. If you do not have an account, you can create one for free here. This allows you 2GB of storage.
- Video file names must follow this format: FirstName_LastName_Instrument_
- Preferred video file types are .FLV, .WMV and .MP4
- There is no time limit for videos.
- Applicants must be aged 11-18 years old inclusive, as at 1 January 2021, and/or enrolled in a Public or Independent Australian Primary School or High School.
Recommended playing levels:
- Violin: 8th grade AMEB / Suzuki Book 7 or equivalent
- Viola: 6th grade AMEB / Suzuki Book 5 or equivalent
- Cello: 6th grade AMEB / Suzuki Book 5 or equivalent
- Double Bass: 5th grade AMEB / Suzuki Book 4 or equivalent
Please note that this is just a guideline. It is not a requirement to have completed formal examinations.
The ACO is committed to ensuring access to our programs and we strive to ensure that students wishing to participate in our programs are not disadvantaged for financial reasons. The ACO is pleased to offer financial assistance to young musicians who can demonstrate sufficient financial need, as well as a high standard of playing. Together with the generous support of its private donors, the ACO will provide either full or partial financial assistance for the ACO Academy in 2021. Please click here to learn more.
Please note that applications close on Thursday 18 March 2021. First round offers will be notified by Friday 16 April 2021.